It’s no secret that my husband and I love to be surrounded by our family, good friends and good food ALL the time. As a matter of fact, we live for those moments and entertaining is a huge part of our lives. So throwing party is a great excuse to see our friends as much as possible.
We take pride in being hosts, in making everyone feel special and in truly having a great time while we are at it. With our busy schedules it is easy to make excuses because our time is limited. However, over the years we’ve realize that these moments are the ones that truly matter and help shape our best memories. Having said that, I’m grateful that regardless of our schedules we still host Sunday dinners EVERY week with our families and that mastering the art of entertaining has allowed us to continue to build on our friendships.
This week I’d love to share some of our tips:
- If you are obsessive about cleanliness, don’t leave all of your chores for the day of your party. Start cleaning the most important areas early that week.
- If you are trying out a new recipe, try making a mini version of it a few weeks prior. Experience has taught us that it always takes longer the first time you try to cook a new dish. My husband can attest.
- Decide on what your main entree is going to be and then choose the appetizers that will work we’ll with your main dish. Establishing this main course will also help you with your wine and beverage selections.
- Find something that you really love and make it the signature for all of your parties. For instance, I love a well-set table with beautiful cloth napkins and napkin rings. It’s my thing. So it’s no surprise my settings are always well thought out.
- One very important thing to do is to define your party. Once your guests arrive remind them why they are there by formally welcoming them and introducing those that don’t know each other.
- Lastly, a toast is an essential part of the start to our dinners. As of late we’ve started making sure that we toast to the occasion, it reminds everyone of why they are there and truly makes everyone feel special.
- Enjoy your party. Don’t be so busy doing everything that you forget to interact with your guests. Have fun!