I am often asked by event planners as well as others in the industry about what it takes to plan luxury weddings and how am able to keep track of all the things I juggle. It’s a constant balancing act that will never end. So embrace it but remember to live while you are at it. Regardless of who your client is or the size of their budgets the key to success lies in understanding your limits and setting proper expectations both in your personal life as well as your career. Much of what we do is extremely emotional for our clients and at times it becomes very emotional for us too, however, we must avoid at all cost to take things personally. The fact that we spend so much time with our clients and their families automatically puts us in a position of vulnerability. In order to make our jobs easier and in order to provide the highest quality of service we must be comfortable with the following truths:
- WE MUST KNOW OURSELVES: Understand what you are truly good at and run with it. If you need help executing a request, ask for help. It will only make you better.
- USE COMMON SENSE AT ALL TIMES: Experience is paramount but using common sense will most likely provide you with the right answers.
- NEVER SAY NO: Always try to find the solution, do not pronounce those words unless you have exhausted every possibility. Find solutions.
- THE CLIENT IS ALWAYS RIGHT: I know this is hard to believe but if you put yourself in the client’s shoes and look at things from their perspective, it may be easier to provide them with the outcome and service that they expect. Taking your feelings out of the equation usually does the trick.
- LEARN TO CHALLENGE YOURSELF: Polish your craft constantly. Don’t allow yourself to feel too comfortable. The moment you do, you become less interesting.
- IDENTIFY YOUR FEARS AND FACE THEM: Deal with fears head-on. Avoiding them will slow down your path to success.
- LEAD BY EXAMPLE NOT FEAR: this will allow you to see things clearly and will also inspire those around you to become better.
All these are traits of a successful planner regardless of the type of budgets for your current projects. It may take some longer than others to achieve the kind of success they want. It’s important to note that things happen for you when you are ready to receive. This I know for sure.
Image Via: Syed Photography
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment